Saturday, July 29, 2006

A World of Stereotypes

From the Daily Telegraph's letters to the Editor (Tuesday 25th July):

"Dear Sir,

Recently I read about an old lady who failed her stroke recovery test because of her old-fashioned method of making tea. It doesn't surprise me.
Eight years ago, during the World Cup, I had a stroke. The nurses were going to write me off because I couldn't answer their questions about football. They would not believe my wife when she told them I had no interest in the subject. "All men know about football," they said.
It took a visit to the hospital, by my boss, to converse with me about nuclear engineering, to convince them I was actually compos mentis."

The letter goes on to describe how he is now forced to watch every World Cup in case he has another stroke.

I admit, football is one of my hobbies, but it is further proof that the world is full of generalizations.

Jetstar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home