Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Criminal Sentencing

Sorry this is the first post I've done in a while I've had a lot going on and there are many posts in the making still to come. I have about 5 good ideas so keep coming back to read them!

Anyway i was watching the news today and saw two articles, apparently un-linked (is that a word?), which infuriated me on the part of the criminal justice system.

The two stories included Ian Huntley's attempted overdose and boxer Naseem Hamed's early release from prison. Both were given sentences, but I want to know what these sentences mean.

If a man is given a 15-month sentence, isn't the idea that he is to stay in jail for that term of time? If not, then can't they call it 16 weeks instead, just to clarify it? This man involved in the boxer's car crash, fractured EVERY MAJOR BONE IN HIS BODY and the man who commited the horrific crime, who was incidentally DRIVING DOWN THE WRONG BLINKING SIDE OF THE ROAD AT 90MPH AT THE TIME is let out of his pitiful sentence nearly a year early, with nothing more than an electronic wristband to show for it. The world is sick. But you can't sink any lower than that. What freaking idiot at the Home Office decided that this criminal, not ex-boxing champion as the BBC affectionately names him, I'm calling him a criminal, should be let free this early? I have a paper round and I deserve my pay more than that lot.
The victim is reported to be "shocked" at the decision. I wouldn't be shocked at the decision, I wouldn't even be talking to the press at that time because I would be on the phone to the Home Office complaining for as long as it would take them to stick this idiot who was reportedly "showing off" straight back in a cell.

And could this idiot even care less anyway about what he has done? All he can say is "at least nobody died." The disgusting Hamed goes on to try and win us over to SYMPATHISE with him, and tells us how he "couldn't see his newborn kid". I want to see the kid's reaction when he hears about his dad's past.

And what exactly do these tags do?

On holiday in Wales, there was a story about a "dangerous" sex offender who was released early and (I think) was tagged. The man was missing for over a week, but why, (with his tag), was he so hard to find? He has now returned to police.

I went on the criminal justice system online, and found that their course of action is: crime reported, investigation, court, SENTENCING, PUNISHMENT and rehabilitation. Fat chance.
The Ian Huntley Case

Ian Huntley, convicted murderer of Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells, was today found in his cell unconcious after trying to take an overdose. My point of focus, however, is his sentence. It says in the article that Huntley was given two life sentences.
Is he a cat? Does he have nine lives? If yes, then two life sentences would fit, but if no, how can he serve both? I am under-privileged and deprived, and am in the possession of only one life. I could not fill the capacity of two life sentences. I know of other convicted murders/ rapists/ gunmen who have been given life sentences and have then been released after only 20 years. Shouldn't a life sentence be just that? A sentence which you are stuck with for your life?

Jetstar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home